How do Implant Supported Dentures Work?
Conventional dentures become loose overtime. Some denture wearers have good luck with the adhesive, while many do not. Implant supported dentures offer a more stable denture. Instead of adhesive to hold it in place, they snap on to permanent posts that are integrated directly into the jawbone.
Implant Supported Dentures in San Francisco
Dental patients who are interested in implant-supported dentures begin with a consultation with San Francisco financial district dentist, Dr. Tamer Azim. We will take x-rays of the jawbone to determine if there is enough bone to place and support implants.
- Records are gathered to create the temporary dentures.
- Implants are surgically placed into the jaw bone during the first stage of treatment.
- A period of healing is needed for the implant to integrate with the surrounding bone. Temporary dentures can be used during this time.
- Once the implants are integrated into the jaw, an abutment is fitted into each implant. This will secure the final dentures to the implants.
- Dr. Azim will provide you with proper care and hygiene instructions for your new implant dentures.
- A follow-up appointment is set.
- Annual check-ups will help to increase the longevity of your implant-supported dentures. It is also important to report to your dentist for an annual oral cancer screening.
Besides leaving the office with a more permanent dental solution, patients can expect an improved quality of life including:
- A newfound social confidence
- Significantly improved chewing ability
- Freedom to smile anytime of the day
When you do not have to worry about your dentures slipping or falling out while you speak or during mealtimes, there is a newly-found sense of freedom, For the best results, follow home-care instructions.